Ex-North British Railway Class B (LNER Class J35) 0-6-0 No. 64510, the last active member of its class, prepares to propel the afternoon goods train for Hardengreen Yard away from Dalkeith Station towards Glenesk Junction on 24th May, 1962. [W.A.C. Smith]
View towards Edinburgh at the site of Glenesk Junction near Dalkeith, with the footpath occupying the trackbed of the Dalkeith Branch curving towards the main Waverley Route from Carlisle to Edinburgh, which passes behind the trees on the left of the photo. [Michael Laing]
Plaque on Glenesk Viaduct on the Waverley Route near Dalkeith, showing its date of construction: 1830. When the railway is reinstated here as it is due to be shortly, I imagine this will become one of the oldest operational railway structures anywhere in the world. [Michael Laing]
This station is located immediately to the south of Niddrie South Junction. It occupies the site of the second Niddrie station, which in turn replaced the first Niddrie station, which was located near Niddrie West Junction. Although situated on a double-track line, Newcraighall Station has a single bidirectional platform. If traffic grows and there is a demand for more frequent services when the Borders Railway is opened, the illogical and constricting layout here will surely have to be rectified.
General Motors Class 66 No. 66 062 brings a train of track-ballast wagons northwards from Millerhill Yard through Newcraighall Station on the south-eastern outskirts of Edinburgh, 25th June, 2005. [Michael Laing]
Leith Docks underwent a massive expansion during the railway age with a succession of new basins being opened, these being the Victoria Dock (1851), Albert Dock (1869), Edinburgh Dock (1881) and the Imperial Dock (1903). Industries such as sugar-refining and glass-making also developed.
Ex-North British Railway Class G (LNER Class Y9) 0-4-0ST No. 68102 shunts wagons in Leith Docks on 29th August, 1955. The locomotive was permanently-coupled to a makeshift tender converted from an ancient wooden-bodied mineral wagon. Easparto grass imported from Spain for use in local paper mills was most likely contained in the sheeted wagon, whilst coal-handling equipment for the shipment of coal from Lothian pits can be seen on the quayside on the opposite side of the basin. [W.A.C. Smith]
At this location the Edinburgh & Dalkeith railway crossed Duddingston Road West on the level.
On 12th August, 1961, ex-North British Railway Class B (LNER Class J35) 0-6-0 No. 64479 ambles across Cairntows Level Crossing, a short distance to the west of Duddingston, with a train of empty mineral wagons from St. Leonards Depot. On the left, the Old Town of Edinburgh forms the distant horizon, while the south-western slopes of Arthur's Seat dominate the right-hand background. Four youngsters have clambered up the crossing gates to watch the train, in time-honoured fashion. The section of the 'Innocent Railway' from St. Leonards to Cairntows is now occupied by a cyclepath. [W.S. Sellar]